While starting your computer, you might have noticed that certain programs start automatically as the screen loads; for instance, your antivirus guard, Event log, etc. These services are enabled to start automatically on your system startup and are called Startup programs. Some of these startup services like, DCOM Server Process Launcher and Remote Procedure Call are indispensible for the smooth running of Windows XP and these can’t be disabled. Whereas, some other services like Help and Support, Event Log, print spooler Services etc. can be disabled when you do not need them. Here are the Windows support instructions to disable those and fix the service settings in Windows XP.
Windows support instructions to fix Windows XP services settings
- Click on “Start” and then click on “Control Panel.”
- On the Control Panel window that opens, double-click on the “Administrative Tools” icon.
- On the Administrative Tools window that opens, double-click on the “Services” icon.
- On the right pane of the Services window that opens, right-click on a Service name and then click on “Properties.” For instance, if you would wish to change the settings of the Print Spooler service, right-click on it, and click on “Properties.”
- In the Properties dialog box that opens, click on the “General” tab and to start the service if it is not already running, click on the “Start” button. Click on the “Stop” button if it is already running and you want to stop it.
- Click on the “Log On” tab, and then if you want this Service to run under some other user account, click to select the “This account” option.
- To select the user account under which you want this Service to run, click on the “Browse” button and then in the “Password” Box, type the password for that user account.
- If you want to set the recovery options for this service, click on the “Recovery” tab. The available options are: “what do you want the computer to do when the Service fails for the first time (“First failure“)”, similarly what should be done on “Second failure” and “Subsequent failure.” For these three options, the available settings are: “Take No Action,” “Restart the Service,” “Run a Program” and “Restart the Computer.” If selecting the “Run a Program” option, you can select the program to run by selecting “browse” button.
- Click “Apply” button, and then “OK”.
That’s it! Thank you!