I am sure most of you have a user account other than the administrator account, so that you can restrict the access of other users who use the same system. And how many times did you forget the password to that account?
If you were to believe the words of a friend of mine, it would be countless. And the funny thing about him was that, he didn’t know what to do in such a situation. Well, you can’t fault him, can you?
Not all of us are computer wizards. So, what would you do in such a situation?
Well, no need to worry if you forgot your password. The ever admirable Windows XP help team come to your rescue in such a scenario. They have planned in advance for such a situation and have devised a series of simple steps for the user to follow if such a situation arises. Here are a set of guidelines to follow, as recommended by the Windows help team so as to recover your user account.
Guidelines to Unlock a Password Protected Windows XP Home User Account
- Start your computer which runs Windows XP. Now that you have started the system, you are required to login to the operating system. Do so using your administrator account or any account that has administrator privileges.
- Click on the “Start” button which is located at the bottom left corner of your screen. Then, go to the “Control Panel” and then select the “User Account” option.
- In the “User Account”, you will see the list of user accounts you currently have. Click on the user account whose password you wish to unlock and then just click on the “Remove My Password” button.
- When you click on the “Remove My Password” button, the password for the required account will be removed.
- The next time you try to open that account, you will not be asked for password verification and you can log in without any hassle.
Thus, if you are stranded out in the open, unable to open your user account, don’t worry. But then, you must remember that, you should have access to the administrator account or a user account with administrator privileges to perform these operations. For any further clarifications, please contact the Windows XP help team.