If you set a Windows password, it keeps your computer secure as well as protected in case it gets stolen. However, if you happen to forget your password, you are likely to find yourself in an absolutely annoying situation. Windows Vista as well as Windows 7 has a password reset disk. You need to create this while you are in the process of setting or resetting your password. This is done so that you can use it for passwords that you may use in future. In case you do not have a password reset disk, you may opt to reinstall Windows. This lets you log in as an administrator and make use of the password recovery software. The instructions given below, which have been devised by the Microsoft help team, will assist you in logging into windows in case the password is forgotten.
- Start off with these instructions by booting Windows using the password reset disk, in case you have already created one. The reset disk provides you with on-screen instructions which allow you to log on to your computer and reset the password that you are no longer able to remember.
- Following which, you have to log in to your system as the administrator in order to reset your user password. If you are able to remember the administrative password, you may utilize this information in order to gain access to the computer and change the user password. Depending on your version of Windows, it is possible for you to boot the system in safe mode so as to access the administrator menu.
- It is then required that you purchase a password recovery program from a computer store. It is possible for you to locate recovery programs on the internet for purchase or for free. In case you are able to download a program over the Internet on a different computer, transfer the program onto a CD, DVD or thumb drive.
- Proceed to reinstall Windows making use of the Windows setup CD or disk. While you are in the process of completing the installation, you must not overwrite the original installation. This is because in the future, it will be possible for you to access that installation if you are able to remember the password.
That concludes the instructions to log into Windows in case you have forgotten the password with Windows help.
Help with turning off Windows Help and support in XP
As it is obvious that each computer user is not an adroit techie, there are help and support options intended for them, whether novice or techies. If you do not know how to use a particular function or if you are having any doubt, you can instantly view the help documents and get informed. Windows series of operating systems have a built-in “Help and Support” feature allowing it to provide novices with tips and hints on using the operating system.
However, enabling this feature to show automatically consumes memory and disk space. If you are an advanced user and do not need these help topics and you wish to save the memory space, or when your computer becomes slow, you may consider disabling the Help and Support service in your Windows XP computer. This service can be disabled completely and you can configure them to open only when you manually run it. The following Windows help guidelines will help you with this process of disabling the help and support in Windows XP.
Instructions to turn off Help and support in Windows XP
- Open the “Start” menu and right click on option named “Computer” and then select “Manage”.
- Select “Services and Applications,” then “Services” shown in the Computer Management left-hand sidebar.
- From the main window, click the “Standard” tab.
- In the list of services, locate “Help and Support” and double click on an entry for opening the “Properties” window.
- Select the “General” tab. From the “Startup Type” drop-down menu, select “Disabled” (or “Manual”). To save the changes, click “OK“.
- For the changes to take effect, you will have to restart your Windows XP computer. Next time, when you reboot, the ‘Help and Support’ service shall be disabled.
However, if you want help on any topic while using the system at any time, you may manually open the help and support option, where you will be provided necessary help with your doubt. This will save your computer disk space and memory, and there won’t be lags when you try opening application on account of automatic support options that emerge.
That’s all the help you will need to take care of the Help option; thank you and have a great day!